I think the transition into motherhood is one of the biggest identity shifts we experience, and nobody really prepares you for how disorienting it can be.
You spend so much time preparing for a baby. You think about the nursery, the appointments, the birth, the things you'll need to bring home from the hospital.
But how much time do we spend preparing for the person we might become?
The way our priorities might change. The way our bodies might change. The way our relationships, careers, friendships, and even our definitions of success might look completely different.
And perhaps most importantly, how do we navigate a world that still expects us to be the same person we were before?
Before I became a mom, I worked for a small, locally owned financial institution. They took a lot of pride in being a small-town business where everyone was “like family.”
And I loved that idea.
Maybe I loved it a little too much.
I grew up with a deep-rooted need to belong, and the idea of finding a second family at work was intoxicating to me. I wanted to be dependable. I wanted to be needed. I wanted to be the person people could count on.
My parents had also instilled a very strong work ethic in me. Work came first. You showed up. You pushed through. You didn't let people down.
So that's what I did.
I worked my way up and eventually became a supervisor. I took so much pride in that accomplishment. I came in when people called off. I worked overtime. I worked my days off. I rearranged my own appointments around staffing needs.
I was that girl.
If the team needed me, I was there.
And for a long time, I thought that was something to be proud of.
I thought being a good employee meant being willing to give a little more, stay a little longer, and put my own needs aside when someone else needed something from me.
I didn't realize how easily being dependable could turn into believing I had to be available all the time to prove my worth.
Then I got pregnant.
Everyone was so excited for me. And I was excited, too.
But while everyone around me was celebrating the baby, my body was quietly becoming something I didn't recognize.
The hormones started shifting.
Then came the morning sickness, brain fog, gestational diabetes, additional bathroom breaks, blood sugar testing, injections, exhaustion, and mood swings.
My life was changing in ways I couldn't control.
But my expectations at work hadn't changed.
I was still expected to perform exactly as I had before.
And I couldn't.
Eventually, I made a significant mistake at work. I was called into a meeting and told that I was lucky I wasn't being fired, but that I would be stepping down from my supervisory position.
Technically, I was allowed to say that I had chosen to step down.
So, for those who know me personally, this might be the first time hearing this hard, honest truth.
At the time, I felt completely betrayed.
I had spent years proving how committed I was. I had canceled appointments, rescheduled my own life around staffing shortages, worked extra hours, and made sure my team was functioning and that things got done.
And suddenly, I didn't feel like the person who had given everything was being seen anymore.
I felt like I had become a problem.
Looking back, I can acknowledge that I made a mistake while also acknowledging how difficult that season of my life was. Both things can be true.
But I also wish I'd understood something then that took me years to learn:
Your worth as an employee is not the same thing as your ability to function at your absolute best under every circumstance.
Pregnancy changed what I was physically and emotionally capable of doing. That didn't mean I had stopped caring. It didn't mean I had suddenly become lazy or unreliable.
It meant I was a person going through a significant life change.
And I wish I'd given myself permission to be a person instead of expecting myself to be a machine.
After that experience, something shifted in me.
I stopped giving everything.
And honestly, I wish I'd learned how to do that much earlier.
Then my daughter was born.
And somehow, despite everything, work still expected the same version of me.
Except I wasn't the same person anymore.
I was a new mom.
I was exhausted. I was overwhelmed. I was trying to figure out how to care for this tiny human while barely recognizing myself.
And privately, I was struggling much more than anyone knew.
I was experiencing postpartum depression and intrusive thoughts. I was miserable in a way I didn't know how to explain.
I was trying to be a good mother, a good partner, and a good employee while quietly wondering why something that seemed to come so naturally to other people felt so difficult for me.
I was pumping at work, and sometimes I would sit alone in that room and sob.
Not because I hated pumping.
Quite the opposite.
At a time when I felt like I was failing at everything; at work, at motherhood, at being a partner, at being myself; pumping was the one thing that made me feel like I was doing something right.
It gave me a sense of purpose when I desperately needed one.
And yet, even that became another source of pressure.
My pumping breaks were scrutinized. After one break ran longer than expected, other employees began keeping track of how long I was gone.
At one point, my depression was even attributed to pumping, and I was encouraged to consider stopping early by my employer.
Looking back, I wish someone had helped me see that I didn't need to keep proving how hard I was trying.
I wish I'd understood that struggling didn't mean I was doing something wrong.
I wish I'd known that I could love my job and still need accommodations, flexibility, and understanding.
I wish I'd known that being a good employee didn't require me to ignore what was happening to me.
And I wish I'd known that motherhood was already asking so much of me. I didn't need to make it harder by expecting myself to be everything to everyone, all the time.
I thought I was failing at work because I couldn't keep up with the version of myself who had existed before pregnancy.
I thought I was failing my daughter because motherhood didn't feel natural and beautiful every second.
I thought I was failing my relationship because my husband and I weren't quite ourselves anymore.
But the truth was, we were just surviving.
He was doing everything he could to support me. I was doing everything I could to avoid becoming another thing he had to carry.
Neither of us was doing anything wrong.
We were learning how to be parents while simultaneously trying to figure out who we were now.
And that is a lot for two people to navigate.
Eventually, I left that job.
With some distance, I've been able to see things I couldn't see then.
That environment wasn't necessarily built for the version of me I had become. And honestly, it probably wasn't built for mothers in the way I needed it to be.
The expectations weren't necessarily malicious. Businesses have to operate. Employees have responsibilities. Supervisors have to manage teams.
But I had spent years believing that being a good employee meant putting the job first.
And I had also participated in that culture before I became a mother.
As a supervisor, I remember being asked to expect certain things from employees who were mothers.
At the time, I didn't question it much.
Now?
I look back and realize how unrealistic some of those expectations were.
Motherhood changed the way I understood them.
Because once you've been the person trying to choose between your child's needs and your employer's needs, you realize just how impossible that choice can feel.
You start to understand that what looks like an employee being less committed might actually be a person navigating a life that has fundamentally changed.
You start to understand that flexibility isn't always a perk. Sometimes it's what allows someone to continue doing their job well.
And you start to understand that treating people like human beings doesn't mean standards no longer matter. It means recognizing that people have lives outside the work they're paid to do.
I can't change how I approached work back then. I can't go back and give my younger self the perspective I have now
But I can share what I've learned.
Because I don't want another mom to spend years believing that being exhausted, overwhelmed, and constantly torn between work and family is simply the price of being a good mother and a good employee.
It doesn't have to be this hard all the time.
That doesn't mean motherhood is easy. It doesn't mean every season will feel balanced or that we'll never have days when we're barely holding it together.
Some seasons really are hard. Some jobs have demanding schedules. Some families have financial circumstances that limit their options. And sometimes we have to make difficult choices because the support we need simply isn't available.
I'm not suggesting that anyone should quit their job the moment something feels wrong.
I'm saying we should pay attention.
Pay attention to how a workplace responds when your circumstances change.
Pay attention to whether reasonable needs are treated with understanding or resentment.
Pay attention to whether you're constantly sacrificing your health, your family time, or your peace of mind to prove that you're committed.
Pay attention to how you feel when Sunday night rolls around, when you walk through the door after work, and when you finally have a moment to yourself.
Not every difficult day is a red flag. Not every frustrating manager means you need a new job.
But if something consistently feels wrong, you don't have to convince yourself that it's normal just because you've learned how to tolerate it.
You can take your time. You can explore your options. You can set boundaries where possible. You can ask for help. You can decide what you're willing to change and what you can no longer afford to sacrifice.
You are allowed to want something different.
And you are allowed to believe that something different exists.
Because there are workplaces where you can be a good employee without giving up what makes you a good mom.
There are places where you can work hard, care about your responsibilities, and be dependable without being expected to give every available piece of yourself to the job.
There are environments where you can have boundaries without feeling like you've betrayed the team.
Where your family is part of your life, not an inconvenience to your employer.
Where you can do meaningful work and still have enough of yourself left to enjoy the life you're working to support.
I know that because I'm living a different version of that reality now.
I'm currently in a job where I can be an employee without making my entire identity about being an employee.
I can work hard.
I can care about what I do.
I can be dependable.
And I can still go home.
I can have boundaries.
I can take care of my family.
I can be present for the moments that matter.
And somehow, without the title I once thought I needed, without constantly proving how valuable I was, without sacrificing every ounce of myself to work...
I'm happier than I've ever been.
I didn't become less capable when I became a mother.
I didn't lose my work ethic.
I didn't stop caring about doing a good job.
I simply learned that I don't have to give everything away to prove any of those things.
Motherhood didn't make me less ambitious.
It changed what I am ambitious for.
I don't want to be indispensable at work anymore.
I want to be present at home.
I don't want my greatest accomplishment to be how much I sacrificed for a paycheck.
I want my daughter to remember that I showed up for her.
I don't want my identity to be built around being the employee who never says no.
I want to be a person who knows when enough is enough.
And maybe that's one of the strangest parts of becoming a mother.
You spend so much time worrying about how much your life will change because of your child.
But sometimes the biggest change isn't your schedule, your sleep, or even your priorities.
It's realizing that the person you were before motherhood doesn't have to be the person you remain forever.
You can change your mind about what matters.
You can redefine success.
You can decide that the sacrifices you once wore like a badge of honor aren't the sacrifices you want to keep making.
You can be proud of your work without building your entire identity around it.
You can be a loving mother without being a perfect one.
You can be a good partner, a good friend, a good employee, and a good person without being everything to everyone every single day.
And you can build a life that makes room for you, too.
If you're in a season of motherhood where everything feels harder than you expected, I hope you know this:
You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong just because things feel difficult.
But you also don't have to assume that difficulty is the only way forward.
Sometimes you need support. Sometimes you need rest. Sometimes you need to give yourself more grace.
And sometimes you need to take an honest look at the expectations, environments, and commitments that are making an already demanding season harder than it needs to be.
You don't have to make every decision today.
You don't have to have it all figured out.
But you are allowed to want a life that feels more sustainable.
A life where you can work and be a mother without constantly feeling like you're failing at one because you're trying to do the other.
A life where your value isn't measured by how much you can endure.
A life where success includes the ability to be present for the people you love — and to feel like yourself again, too.
Because your worth was never measured by how much of yourself you were willing to give away.
Not to an employer.
Not to the expectations of other people.
And not even to the impossible version of motherhood you might have imagined before you became a mom.
Sometimes becoming a mother means finally giving yourself permission to stop proving your worth.
Even at work.
Especially at work.
And sometimes, it means learning that life doesn't have to be a constant uphill battle to count as a life you're proud of.
It doesn't have to be this hard. And you don't have to keep making it harder to prove that you're doing enough.
Your Turn: What changed for you when you became a mother?
Was it your relationship with work? Your ambition? Your boundaries? Your friendships? Your marriage? Your idea of what success even meant?
Or was it realizing that something you'd always accepted as normal didn't actually have to be your normal forever?
I'd love to hear what surprised you most about the transition into motherhood. Because I have a feeling a lot of us became different people than we expected to; and maybe that's not a bad thing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment