I'm going to be a little vulnerable about something I've become surprisingly insecure about lately: my hair.
It's funny how something you may have taken for granted for most of your life can suddenly become something you think about far more than you'd like to admit.
For me, it started with gray hairs showing up more frequently than I was ready for. I decided to color my hair, hoping to freshen things up a little and feel more like myself.
The color looked great at first. Then I washed it.
And suddenly, my hair had transformed into a shade I can only describe as brassy pumpkin.
It was orange. It was brown. Somehow, it was both at the same time. Most importantly, I hated it.
Now, a reasonable person might have called a professional.
I am apparently not that person.
Instead, I grabbed another box of dye and attempted to fix it myself. This meant coloring my hair twice within five days, which, as it turns out, was not exactly a love letter to my hair.
The color looked much better afterward.
My hair, however, seemed considerably less enthusiastic.
Over the following weeks, I began noticing more thinning around the front of my hairline. Between that and the postpartum hair loss that never fully grew back, I started to panic a little.
Suddenly, I was paying attention to every strand in the shower, every hair left in my brush, and every place where my hair seemed a little thinner than I remembered.
It's amazing how quickly something like that can get into your head. (Pun absolutely intended.)
I found myself worrying about something I had never expected to feel so insecure about. My hair had always just been my hair. And now, I was thinking about it far more than I wanted to.
So, I decided it was time to give my hair a little extra attention.
Welcome to what I'm now calling my Hair Regrowth Era.
On weekends, I've been using caffeine and castor oil treatments. A couple of times a week I apply 5% minoxidil. Twice a month I wash with Nizoral shampoo containing ketoconazole. Every time I shampoo I use a scalp massager.
Is it science? Is it luck? Is it wishful thinking? Is it a combination of all three?
Honestly, I can't say for sure. I'm still figuring out what works for me, and I know that hair thinning can have many different causes.
But I have noticed something lately.
Tiny little hairs are starting to stick straight up around my hairline.
Flyaways.
The very things I've spent most of my life trying to smooth down, tame, and make disappear.
And now?
I catch myself looking in the mirror and smiling when I see them.
They're not glamorous. They're not particularly cooperative. They're definitely not helping me achieve sleek, perfectly styled hair.
But I love them.
Because to me, those little hairs represent something I desperately wanted to see: a sign of hope.
I'm not saying every little hair is proof that my routine is working exactly as I'd hoped. I know there are no guarantees, and I'm trying to be patient with a process I can't entirely control.
But those little flyaways have changed the way I look at my hair.
Instead of seeing something I want to fix, I'm starting to notice something worth celebrating.
And maybe that's the part I needed most.
It's so easy to focus on what we've lost. The things that have changed. The parts of ourselves that don't look or feel the way they used to. We can become so focused on getting back to where we were that we forget to notice the small signs of where we're going.
Sometimes progress doesn't look polished.
Sometimes it looks messy, uneven, and a little unruly. Sometimes it shows up in ways we would have overlooked, or even complained about, in another season of life.
Sometimes it looks like a few stubborn hairs sticking straight up when you're just trying to get ready for the day.
I'm still learning to be patient with my hair. I'm still figuring out my routine, and I still have moments when I wish things looked a little different.
But I'm also learning to give myself a little more grace.
Maybe I don't have to love every change I see in the mirror. Maybe I can acknowledge the things that make me feel insecure without letting them define how I feel about myself.
And maybe I can learn to celebrate the little signs of progress, even when they're not what I expected them to look like.
So, here's to the flyaways.
Here's to the small signs of growth we might have missed if we were only looking for big changes.
Here's to progress that doesn't have to be perfect to be meaningful.
And here's to learning that sometimes, the very things we once tried to tame are the things that remind us we're growing.
May the flyaways keep multiplying.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment