Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Sometimes We Have to Let Our Kids Surprise Us

 If you had asked me how Ava was going to handle starting an entirely new school, I would have told you I was nervous.

Not because I didn't believe in her. I know my kid.

And historically, big changes have not exactly been her thing.

When she transitioned from the preschool program she'd been in for years to kindergarten, the first few weeks were rough. There were absolute meltdowns. There were tears. There were a lot of big feelings from a very little person who didn't yet have the tools to understand what was happening.

Eventually, those experiences helped me realize that her anxiety was bigger than I knew how to handle on my own, and that she needed some professional support.

Getting that support made a huge difference for all of us.

But experiences like that tend to stick with you as a parent.

You remember the hard mornings. The tears. The uncertainty. You remember how much energy it took to help your child navigate something that seemed relatively straightforward to everyone else.

And when another big change comes along, it's hard not to remember all of it.

You start preparing yourself for the worst, even when you desperately want to believe things might be different this time.

Because you know your child.

Or at least, you know the version of your child you've spent so much time learning how to help.

For the last couple of years, Ava attended a small school that was wonderful for her. It gave her room to learn, grow, and become more confident. But eventually, she was going to have to make the jump into a much larger school system.

We ultimately decided to make that jump when her best friend did.

Those two are basically yin and yang. They balance each other in ways I don't think either of them fully realizes yet.

Still, I worried.

The day before school started, Ava had some big feelings. She couldn't remember how to get to her classroom or the gym, and honestly, that was completely understandable. There was a lot of new information being thrown at her.

But even then, I was impressed by how quickly she came back down from the meltdown.

It was a small moment, maybe. But looking back, I wonder if I should have paid more attention to it.

Because when the first day actually arrived, she was confident. She was excited. She admitted she was nervous, but nervous is normal.

I knew that.

Still, I was basically waiting for the other shoe to drop.

We got to school and I spotted her best friend's car.

Okay, I thought. Perfect. They'll go in together.

Her friend got out of the car and was immediately overcome with emotion. She was scared. She didn't know where to go.

And I braced myself for Ava to have a chain reaction.

Instead, Ava went into full best-friend mode.

"It's okay. We got this. We will do this together."

Her friend was tearfully telling her she was scared and didn't know where to go.

Ava said, "I do. You're going to go with me. We will get there together."

And I just stood there thinking...

When did my seven-year-old become a professional at de-escalation?

I was so proud of her.

I was also a little stunned.

This was the kid I had spent the entire week worrying about.

The kid I was worried wouldn't know where to go.

The kid I was worried would get overwhelmed.

The kid I was worried might have a meltdown.

The kid who had historically struggled with transitions.

And there she was, calmly helping someone else through hers.

I was also very worried about the bus.

She had never had to take one at her old school, and I had visions of her getting on the wrong bus or somehow ending up in an entirely different zip code on the way to her after-school program.

She did great.

Of course she did.

Every day, she came home having had a great day.

And then there was the after-school program.

This one really got me.

After-school care at her old school had been a major point of contention. She absolutely hated it. She was so miserable that I would try to rearrange my schedule to get out of work earlier whenever I could.

At one point, I had even considered changing jobs so that she wouldn't have to go, or at least wouldn't have to go as often.

So when I picked her up from her new after-school program and she was a little upset with me, I was prepared for the usual complaints.

Except she wasn't upset because she didn't want to be there.

She was upset because I came too early.

She wanted to stay longer.

I actually had to make her repeat herself because I was convinced I had heard her wrong.

Excuse me?

And that's when it really hit me.

I had spent all that time worrying about a child who was apparently doing just fine.

And I don't feel silly for worrying. I don't think I could have helped it.

I know her history. I've watched transitions be genuinely difficult for her. I've watched anxiety take over. I've watched her struggle to regulate when the world suddenly feels unfamiliar.

Of course I worried.

When you've watched your child struggle, you don't just forget those experiences because a new opportunity comes along.

You carry them with you.

You remember what happened last time. You anticipate what might happen this time. You try to prepare your child, and sometimes you end up preparing yourself for a difficult experience that hasn't even happened yet.

It's not that you don't believe in your child.

Sometimes, it's that you remember how hard things have been for them.

And you want to protect them from having to go through that again.

But here's the thing about children: They don't stay the same.

We spend so much time learning our children. We learn their personalities, their triggers, their comfort zones, their limits. We learn what overwhelms them and what helps them feel safe.

We become familiar with the things they struggle with, and that knowledge helps us show up for them.

But sometimes, without even realizing it, we start expecting those struggles to follow them everywhere.

We anticipate the meltdown before the situation has even begun. We worry about the thing that went wrong last time. We look at a new challenge and remember all the reasons it might be hard.

Meanwhile, our kids are growing.

They're learning coping skills. They're building confidence. They're developing friendships and figuring out how to navigate uncomfortable feelings.

They're discovering that being nervous doesn't necessarily mean they can't do something.

And sometimes, they're becoming capable of things we haven't even considered yet.

Ava isn't the same little girl who struggled through those earlier transitions.

She's grown. She's learned. She's gained confidence. She's had experiences that have helped her figure out how to manage big feelings and unfamiliar situations.

And apparently, she's also become the kind of kid who can look at her scared best friend and say, "We've got this. I'll show you the way."

I couldn't be prouder.

But I also walked away with something to think about.

Maybe part of parenting is learning to hold two things at once: knowing your child's struggles are real while also recognizing that those struggles don't tell the whole story of who they are or who they're becoming.

We can acknowledge that something has been hard for our kids without assuming it will always be hard.

We can prepare them for challenges without deciding in advance that they'll struggle.

And we can support them without stepping in so quickly that we never give them the chance to discover what they're capable of doing on their own.

That's not always easy.

Especially when you've spent years learning how to help your child through the hard stuff.

Sometimes, our instincts tell us to brace ourselves, step in, and make sure everything goes smoothly.

Sometimes, that's exactly what our kids need.

And sometimes, what they need is a little room to surprise us.

I think that's what this experience reminded me of.

I don't have to stop knowing Ava. I don't have to forget the things she's struggled with or pretend those experiences never happened.

I just have to leave room for the possibility that she's changed.

That the things that once felt impossible might feel manageable now.

That the kid I remember struggling might be the same kid who surprises me with her confidence, her kindness, and her ability to handle something I was convinced would be difficult.

I can still worry. I'm probably always going to worry.

But I can also learn to trust her a little more.

To let her try.

To give her the opportunity to show me what she can do, rather than assuming I already know how things will go.

Because sometimes, the lesson isn't that our kids need us less.

It's that the way they need us changes as they grow.

Sometimes they need us to hold their hands.

Sometimes they need us to walk beside them.

And sometimes, they just need us to stand back and watch as they turn to someone else and say, "Don't worry. We've got this. I'll show you the way."

Sometimes we know our kids so well that we think we already know how they're going to respond.

And sometimes, if we give them the space to show us, they remind us that we don't know everything.

Sometimes, the most important thing we can do is let our kids surprise us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

//]]>