I don't want a vacation from my husband.
I don't want to send my kid away.
I don't want to escape my life.
I just want, for a little while, to not be responsible for everyone else's needs.
I want to sit somewhere without someone asking me what we're doing next.I want to eat a meal without cutting someone else's food first.
I want to use the bathroom without hearing, “Mom?” through the door.
I want to go somewhere without thinking about whether everyone has what they need.
I want to go to bed without mentally running through tomorrow.
And maybe most of all, I want to experience what it feels like to not be on call.
Because Being Needed Is Beautiful
That's the part that makes this so complicated.
I love being the person my daughter comes to when she needs comfort.
I love being the person my husband can count on.
I love knowing where the extra batteries are, which snacks everyone likes, what needs to be packed for school, and what appointment needs to be scheduled.
There is something incredibly meaningful about being needed by the people you love.
But meaningful doesn't mean effortless.
And loving someone doesn't mean you never need a break from the responsibility that comes with loving them.
I can be grateful that my family needs me and still occasionally wish they didn't need me for five minutes.
Both things can be true.
I Don't Think Moms Are Asking for Less Family
We're asking for less responsibility.
There's a difference.
Sometimes I don't want to be the one who knows what's for dinner.
I don't want to be the one who notices we're almost out of toilet paper.I don't want to remember that tomorrow is spirit day.
I don't want to coordinate everyone's schedules.
I don't want to answer questions.
I don't want to make another decision.
I don't want to be the person everyone automatically looks at when something needs to be figured out.
I just want to be a person in the room.
Not the manager of the room.
And That's Where the Guilt Creeps In
Because we're told that we're supposed to treasure these years.
That they're going to go by too quickly.
That someday we'll miss the little voices.
And I know that's true.I know my daughter won't always need me to find her missing shoe.
I know a morning will come when nobody needs me to make breakfast.
I know there will be a day when the house is quiet and I'll probably miss the chaos.
But knowing that doesn't magically make the exhaustion disappear.
Sometimes you can recognize that you're living through a season you'll someday miss...
and still desperately need a break from living it.
I Don't Want to Miss This
I want to have enough energy to laugh at the ridiculous things my kid says.
I want to have enough patience left at the end of the day to actually listen to my husband instead of staring blankly at him while my brain begs for silence.Because that's the part that scares me.
Not that I need a break.
That I might need one so badly that I stop enjoying the people I'm taking care of.
So If You've Ever Thought...
I love my family, but I need everyone to leave me alone.
You're not a bad mom.
You're not an ungrateful wife.
You're not wishing your life away.
You're probably just tired.
Really, really tired.
And maybe what you need isn't a vacation from your family.
Maybe you need a few hours where nobody needs anything from you.
Where you aren't the planner.
The reminder.
The snack distributor.
The appointment maker.
The emotional support department.
The one who knows where everything is.
The one who gets asked first.
Just...
you.
Because you are allowed to exist outside of what you provide for everyone else.
You can love your family fiercely and still need time when nobody needs you.
And maybe that isn't selfish.
Maybe that's how you make sure there's still enough of you left to enjoy the life you're working so hard to build.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment